“The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it’s a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good and that could be again.” – Terence Mann (James Earl Jones); Field of Dreams
Opening Day. God damn I love Opening Day. It’s the first real indicator that spring and subsequently summer are ahead. The sights, the sounds, and the scent of baseball games are ever-present for the next six months. The grass is greener. The bat cracks a bit louder. Bad announcers are more tolerable. It’s glorious.
But if you know The Chalk by now, you also know we love gambling as well. And what better way to get ready for the upcoming season than throwing in some future plays out there. We’ve got predictions from a few of our guys along with the current lines from Bovada as of March 24th.
We’re giving out our picks for each of the division and wild card winners. From there we’ll move on the the LCS winners and World Series picks. Finally, we’ve got MVP, Cy Young, and Rookie of the Year picks. Jump on Twitter and tell us why we’re dumb, why we’re smart, or anything in between.
|NL East||NL Central||NL West|
- We’re all over the place in the NL East. No one took the Marlins at +10000 but we’re covered everywhere else.
- Vegas clearly expects a tight race in the NL Central with the top three contenders bearing very little difference in odds.
- Our guys are looking at the NL West as a two-team race again this year.
|AL East||AL Central||AL West|
- The top of the AL is so stacked again this year. The Red Sox, Yankees, and Astros are all heavy favorites to play in October and if you don’t see those teams above you surely will in the next chart.
- The Indians are huge faves in the Central again for good reason with Nick giving some love to the underdog Twins. It’s a good bet to take a chance on.
|NL Wild Card 1||NL Wild Card 2|
- We’ve developed our playoff pool in the NL from the following teams: Dodgers, Rockies, Cardinals, Cubs, Brewers, Braves, Phillies, Mets, and the Nationals. That’s more than half the league and tells us to keep an eye on the Wild Card race in the NL.
|AL Wild Card 1||AL Wild Card 2|
- On the contrary, we’re seeing a strong dose of the big 4 in the AL – Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, and Indians. I think Vlad Jr. and fellow rookie Bo Bichette will come up and spark the Jays to a backdoor wild card spot.
Note: Wild Card odds were given as “Odds to make playoffs”
|NLCS Winner||ALCS Winner||World Series Champ|
- The Chalk is based out of Chicago. Sorry not sorry. Still damn good odds. And swag for days.
|NL MVP||AL MVP|
|Matt||Kris Bryant||+900||Alex Bregman||+900|
|Nick||Kris Bryant||+900||Alex Bregman||+900|
|Patrick||Kris Bryant||+900||Aaron Judge||+700|
|Zach||Kris Bryant||+900||Mookie Betts||+600|
|Chance||Nolan Arenado||+850||Mookie Betts||+600|
|Jeff||Freddie Freeman||+2000||Alex Bregman||+900|
- A lot of the usual suspects here as well. I love Jeff’s Freeman pick. That guy rakes man and at +2000 you get great value.
- It is surprising to not see the $400MIL man Mike Trout not on here from anyone.
|NL Cy Young||AL Cy Young|
|Matt||Max Scherzer||+275||Corey Kluber||+375|
|Nick||Max Scherzer||+275||Gerrit Cole||+1100|
|Patrick||Aaron Nola||+700||Luis Severino||+850|
|Zach||Yu Darvish||+6600||Luis Severino||+850|
|Chance||Aaron Nola||+700||Luis Severino||+850|
|Jeff||Noah Syndergaard||+1000||Gerrit Cole||+1100|
- Z Lil banking on the Fuck Y(o)u Tour from Darvish. I love it.
- PGoy going after Nola who would be my second pick is great value.
- The Typical Chicago guys are all on banking on Severino coming back from his injury with a bang.
|NL ROY||AL ROY|
|Matt||Victor Robles||+300||Vladimir Guerrero Jr.||+150|
|Nick||Victor Robles||+300||Eloy Jimenez||+300|
|Patrick||Brendan Rodgers||+1500||Vladimir Guerrero Jr.||+150|
|Zach||Victor Robles||+300||Vladimir Guerrero Jr.||+150|
|Chance||Victor Robles||+300||Eloy Jimenez||+300|
|Jeff||Pete Alonso||+500||Vladimir Guerrero Jr.||+150|
- Robles and Alonso are heavy favorites. I like the Rodgers call if he can find a way to crack the lineup everyday from May on.
- The two horse race is a pre-cursor of future MVP races. Two electric mashers. I like Guerrero personally for ROY because I am for some reason in on the Jays as a sleeper. Eloy is the guy who will be better long term.
Follow Matt on Twitter @schools_01